Sunday 26 October 2008

Provins...

My friend Anne and I were saying the first thought that went through our heads when we walked into Provins, a provincial french town from the 1200s, was : "There goes the baker with his tray like always..."
For all you out there who HAVEN'T watched Beauty and the Beast...well...you don't deserve to get it.
The town was so cool! I'm always amazed at how all those old buildings stood up to time. They looked brand new! We actually ate lunch at the one above. Here's another one:On a hill in the middle of the town is a tower where guards used to watch for invasions. Needless to say it had an AMAZING view! Here's pictures!There's no walmart around here folks! But really, it was beautiful. Inside the tower there were some dungeon prison cells which actually weren't that creepy looking. The windows were really teeny tiny, but we decided that if I had been imprisoned in the 1200s I probably could have escaped based on the fact that I am about 2 feet tall. Here's my attempt:
We find out moments later that the windows aren't the only small things in this tower! The stairwells were literally just wide enough that you could fit your shoulders through. Maybe it was their way of weeding out the fat, lazy soldiers from being able to work in the tower. Better hope no one was claustrophobic!This is Anne showing you just HOW small they were! And she's tiny! After making it through those teeny staircases we were STARVING! We went to lunch in that restaurant from above, and there I had another one of my famous experiences with french cuisine. What follows is some sort of ground, raw, cold patty made out of duck, with a savory duck broth JELLO on top. It was very, very strange. I ate it anyway just so as not to insult the chef, but I had to keep telling myself "Rare burger, rare burger, rare burger" Sometimes it didn't help and I kind of gagged myself, but for the most part it didn't taste that bad! Afterwards they redeemed themselves with this DELICIOUS chocolate cake. Anne thought she was gonna steal mine but I think you can see that I wasn't going to let that happen :-) Here are a few more random pictures...Overall a successful day! Definitely better than the studying I've been doing the rest of the weekend :-( Apparently here we are the only ones actually paying attention to the tour guide... I think she was leading us to the restaurant, which would make a lot of sense. One of me by an old wall... The fortified wall that surrounds the city...amazing that it's still in such great condition! These are my friends Theresa and Shelly inside the tower

No comments: